Cupping is one of the most ancient healing techniques used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It is a method of applying acupressure by creating a vacuum on the client’s skin. It can be used as a treatment in itself or in addition to Acupuncture.
Cupping involves placing inverted glass cups over acupuncture points to create a vacuum. The vacuum is created by first heating the inside of the cups, which are immediately applied to the affected area.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) believes that stagnation of the blood and blockages in the flow of QI (vital energy) are at the root of all illnesses. The suction created by Cupping Therapy clears the stagnation and stimulates the flow of Qi.
The benefits of Cupping include:
- Draining and moving fluids
- Relieving inflammation
- Releasing toxins in the body through the skin
- Drawing the blood supply to the skin which promotes healing.
Cupping is effective in treating a broad range of conditions including:
- The common cold
- Respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis
- Arthritis and rheumatism
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Muscular spasm
- IBS and gastro-intestinal problems
Mild reddening is common following treatment. It disappears after a few days.
Published by Dr. Lily