Everything you Need to Know about Acupuncture for Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a form of artificial insemination that involves the concentrating of sperm before it is placed directly into a woman’s uterus. The intent is for the concentrated sperm to reach and fertilize an egg. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, IUI is often accompanied by the centuries’ old treatment of acupuncture. It has been shown to be effective in helping women conceived when combined with Western medicine techniques. If you are attempting to conceive by undergoing IUI, then read on to learn more about acupuncture for IUI.
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Couples usually choose IUI for a number of reasons. For women who are hoping to conceive but do not have a partner, IUI with donor sperm is an option. It is also used when women struggle to conceive due to endometriosis or other forms of infertility. Men who may have a lower-than-average concentration of sperm or simply low motility can benefit as the process can remove the lower quality sperm.
Intrauterine Insemination is not without its risks. The procedure does come with a risk of infection. Some women may experience spotting after the procedure while others may see an increase risk of conceiving multiples. Cramping is also a known side effect.
Benefits of Acupuncture for IUI
Acupuncture for IUI is effective in helping women to conceive due to its many benefits.
- It will help to increase blood flow to both the ovaries and uterus which helps to improve the conditions for fertilization.
- Acupuncture will also help to reduce stress since it is able to stimulate the release of the endorphin serotonin.
- It has even been shown in studies to reduce the body’s inflammatory response.
Does Acupuncture Improve IUI Success?
Treatment with acupuncture has been shown to be an effective treatment for women experiencing infertility. A study published in 2019 by the Clinical Medical of Acupuncture Medical College of Acu-Moxi and Rehabilitation at Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine demonstrated that women who underwent treatment with acupuncture had better outcomes then the control group. Out of the 827 women in the control group, 48% percent of them were able to conceive compared to only 26% in the control group.
When to Do Acupuncture for IUI
As to when to do acupuncture for IUI, anytime is a good time. There are various benefits to acupuncture treatments based on different times throughout the menstrual cycle. For example:
- Before conception: Women should consider beginning their acupuncture treatment about three months prior to their planned conception. This allows the body three cycles to prepare for Conception.
- Throughout the menstrual cycle: Undergoing acupuncture on days 1 through 4 will increase the chance of conception since it helps to keep the levels of luteinising hormone low while still keeping it within the normal range. It will also increase egg quantity and quality. Acupuncture treatment during days 5 through 7 will help to decrease uterine contractions and improve the chances of implantation. Treatment on days 5 through 9 of the menstrual cycle will improve the chances of conception because of the thickness of the endometrium and maturation of follicles during this phase. As acupuncture offers different benefit during different days of it the cycle it is recommended to have acupuncture throughout the menstrual cycle.
- When ovulating: Endometrial thickness is at its highest during the first days of ovulation. Treatment with acupuncture during ovulation helps to increase blood flow to the uterus and ovaries and also reduces uterine contractions.
- Follicular phase: Acupuncture during the follicular phase helps to improve egg production and stimulate egg growth. This is thanks to acupuncture’s ability to improve blood flow.
Benefits of Acupuncture for IUI in Women
Women will experience many welcome benefits thanks to acupuncture. Within 24-36 hours of an IUI procedure, women can experience a decrease in uterine contractions. Acupuncture treatment will also help to facilitate ovulation. Its stress reduction effects along with its ability to increase the thickness and quality of the uterine lining while improving blood flow to the uterus will all increase the chances of conception.
Acupuncture for IUI Benefits for Men
No successful pregnancy can occur without the presence of quality sperm. Luckily, women are not the only ones who can benefit from acupuncture for fertility IUI. Men can also achieve numerous benefits as well. Treatment with acupuncture has been shown to improve sperm quality and concentration. When combined with Western medicine, men experience better outcomes with the addition of acupuncture.
What to Expect During Acupuncture for IUI
It is recommended to receive treatment at least twice per week when trying to conceive. A trained Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioner will choose where to place the fine needles based on each patient’s condition. Their goal is to ensure that the body is prepared to be a baby-friendly environment. Learn more about what to expect at GinSen here.
Acupuncture After Conception
Once you have a positive pregnancy test, TCM practitioners recommend continuing your treatment with acupuncture in addition to Chinese medicinal herbs to provide needed early pregnancy support. It can help with symptoms such as the nausea and vomiting that are associated with morning sickness while also ensuring the baby remains headfirst prior to delivery.
IUI / IVF Preparation Kit
IVF Preparation Kit, 100% natural remedy, improves eggs quality and helps with uterus fine line. It also boosts fertility system energy. IVF Preparation Kit is designed to work with your body and naturally support regular menstrual cycles and egg health. Ideal for anyone who wishes to increase IVF success rates.
Anyone struggling to conceive understands the additional stress and frustration that are often associated with the process. The good news is that adding acupuncture for IUI will help to prepare the body for pregnancy while improving blood flow, reducing inflammation, lowering stress levels, and regulating hormones levels. And because acupuncture is safe when performed by a skilled TCM practitioner, all of these wonderful benefits come with little to no adverse side effects. If you or your partner are interested in increasing your chances of a successful pregnancy when undergoing IUI, speak with a TCM practitioner to discuss your options.
For more information about Chinese Medicine, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.