How Acupuncture Can Help Prevent Recurrent Miscarriages
Miscarriage is the loss of a baby in the womb. It is a common infertility condition, as an estimated 10 to 15 percent of pregnancies end in miscarriage. In addition, miscarriages can become recurrent for about 1% of women.
In the case of recurrent or repeat miscarriages, which are defined as two or more miscarriages in a row, acupuncture treatment can help. This article covers how to use acupuncture to prevent miscarriage.
Can Acupuncture Really Prevent Miscarriage?
TCM, short for Traditional Chinese Medicine, is a practice that aims to restore the balance of Qi in the body, which is believed in TCM to be the body’s vital life source. When Qi is disrupted in the Ren meridian, an energy channel that runs a vertical line through the body, miscarriage can occur.
One of the ways Qi can be restored in the Ren meridian is through acupuncture. Acupuncture is a practice in TCM in which fine needles are inserted into specific areas of the body in order to stimulate the nervous system and promote healing.
TCM recognizes three different conditions that can lead to miscarriage. All three conditions are linked to a weakness in the Ren meridian, which is believed to influence conception and fetal health. The three conditions include the following:
- Kidney deficiency , according to TCM, might be the root of miscarriage. A kidney deficiency could result from genetic vulnerability or external factors such as exhaustion or stress.
- Blood Qi Deficiency is another potential root of miscarriage. It can occur when the spleen or stomach is not nourished or in balance with the kidneys. When the Qi is imbalanced among these organs, miscarriage can occur.
- Excess heat in the blood can lead to bleeding in the uterus, potentially resulting in miscarriage.
Therefore, Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that supporting the spleen, stomach, and kidneys through acupuncture can prevent miscarriage. This approach has merit, as fertility research shows that acupuncture can help prevent miscarriage in women who are experiencing threatened pregnancies, meaning the potential for miscarriage.
This is because acupuncture provides a supportive environment that encourages relaxation. In the case of a threatened pregnancy, the practice may lower stress levels which can help create an environment that is more conducive to a healthy pregnancy.
How Does Acupuncture Work to Prevent Miscarriage?
What makes acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine so effective is that it targets the root of a health issue rather than just providing temporary relief from its symptoms. Acupuncture can therefore target and treat a variety of factors that might lead to miscarriage. In addition to treating problem areas, it can result in the following benefits.
- Improved blood flow to the uterus
- Increased thickness of the endometrial lining
- More regulated hormones and, in cases of hormonal disorders like Polycystic ovary syndrome, reduced symptoms
- Stress relief
- Reduced uterine contractions in early pregnancy
Receiving acupuncture for miscarriage may reduce stress levels and create an environment that is conducive to a healthy pregnancy. In addition, it can restore energy levels and promote healing to the Ren meridian, where conception and pregnancy are believed to occur, according to TCM.
While acupuncture for miscarriage is not regularly used or recognized in Western practice, there are studies that indicate its usefulness.
A study carried out by Cridennda Magarelli and Presented at ASRM in 2007 shows that acupuncture carried out along with IVF showed a 50% reduction in the miscarriage rate.
Another recent study shows that acupuncture could be a potential supportive treatment for threatened or recurrent miscarriages due to its beneficial effects on serum cortisol and prolactin levels during IVF.
When Should You Start Acupuncture?
If you are trying to conceive, it is recommended to begin treatments at least 3 months prior to conception. This allows the body to adjust to treatment. Improvements in your general and sexual health may be recognized when you begin acupuncture treatment.
If you are pregnant, it is recommended to receive acupuncture treatment on a weekly basis, especially throughout the first trimester. Doing so will help you manage stress levels and increase blood flow to the uterus. It is best to consult a licensed acupuncturist to determine what treatment plan is best for you.
What Other Lifestyle Changes Can I Make to Prevent Miscarriage?
The cause of miscarriage is not often known or preventable. However, there are general lifestyles changes you can make to increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy, including but not limited to the following:
- Abstaining from smoking, drinking alcohol, and drug use during pregnancy
- Maintaining a healthy weight before and during pregnancy
- Getting moderate exercise regularly
- Eating a balanced diet and avoiding certain foods that could harm the baby
In addition, some health conditions can increase the risk of miscarriage. These conditions include hormonal disorders like polycystic ovary syndrome PCOS , autoimmune disorders, thyroid conditions, and Type I diabetes.
The treatment of these conditions is essential to a healthy pregnancy. It is best to consult a doctor if you are trying to conceive or are pregnant and have any of these health conditions.
Miscarriage is a common infertility condition, affecting up to 15 percent of pregnancies. Moreover, repeat or recurrent miscarriages can affect up to 1% of women. While there is no one leading cause of miscarriage, Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that miscarriage can occur when there is an imbalance of Qi in the body, specifically in the Ren meridian.
Acupuncture can help restore the balance of Qi in the body and therefore help prevent miscarriage. This is why acupuncture for recurrent miscarriages can be an effective fertility treatment option.
You do not have to go through pregnancy and the fear of miscarriage alone. You can speak to a licensed acupuncturist, who will educate and guide you through the entire acupuncture process.
If you are looking to receive treatment for recurrent miscarriages or threatened pregnancy in a healing and supportive environment, consult licensed acupuncturist at GinSen today.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you to prevent recurrent miscarriage, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.