Are painkillers not helping with your migraines?
Give Traditional Chinese Medicine a try!
Is your headache not responding to Ibuprofen?
Headaches and migraines can be caused by multiple factors including lack of sleep, being stressed, working too much and even from simple changes to the weather. One thing is however constant – headaches and migraines cause real misery to the people that experience them. They can strike at any time and ruin our plans. One option is to take over the counter pain relief to try to deal with headaches and migraines. However these painkillers are not always effective and many people experience headache that does not respond to painkillers at all. If your head does not stop pounding despite taking medication please don’t give up hope – Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM to its friends, has a long history of helping people to resolve their headaches. It provides a safe, natural and long lasting solution to headache that does not respond to painkillers.
What is the Western medical view of headaches and migraines?
One theory is that people that experience severe headaches and migraines may have a genetic predisposition towards irregular serotonin control. It is thought that a trigger such as stress causes a wave of electrical activity to spread through the brain creating a surge in serotonin levels. This causes blood vessels to become irritated resulting in a headache and associated pain. A Western medical doctor may prescribe pain killers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen to help with this.
Many sufferers of chronic headaches however will take too much of these pain killers which can lead to rebound headaches – more frequent headaches which are the result of too much pain relief medication, and over time these pain killers can become less effective.
How can Acupuncture help with headache that does not respond to painkillers?
A large scale trial published in the respected British Medical Journal demonstrated that acupuncture is an effective treatment for migraines. Acupuncture seeks to restore the flow of positive energy throughout your body. From a Western medical perspective, acupuncture stimulates various systems of your body and research demonstrates that it has a positive effect on pain.
During an acupuncture treatment, small sterile stainless steel needles are inserted into different parts of your body. These will commonly be found at on your arms, legs and back. The needles connect with your body’s energy – its Qi – and stimulates your body to release hormones such as endorphins which are your body’s Feel Good Hormones. In this way acupuncture is able to provide long lasting relief from migraine and headaches.
An acupuncture treatment however provides so much more than just needles! In addition to the treatment your practitioner prescribes you will also receive dietary and lifestyle advice that will help you to take control of your condition. Your practitioner will help you to find long lasting solutions to stress and worry. In this way your acupuncture practitioner will treat the underlying causes of your stubborn headaches and migraines. When you are more emotionally and energetically balanced you will notice that you suffer from fewer headaches and migraines.
How does TCM approach headache that does not respond to painkillers?
According to Chinese Medicine theory, acupuncture, Chinese herbs and massage can be prescribed to help with migraines and headaches. There are several underlying causes for headaches and migraines :
- Wind. An invasion of Wind can disturb the harmony of Qi and Blood. This results in the headaches that we might experience when we suffer from a common cold.
- Excessive Liver Yang energy. Here, headaches may be accompanied by dizziness and bitter taste in the mouth. Patients with this condition might also experience feelings of anxiety and have a short temper.
- Deficiency of Blood and Qi. With this condition you might experience headaches together with a feeling of heaviness that is felt in the eyes. People with this condition will often feel exhausted all the time and have a pale complexion
- Headaches due to Blood Stagnation can be sharp and often have fixed locations. Patients with this underlying condition will often complain of loss of memory and concentration. It is frequently associated after head trauma.
As the underlying cause of the headaches are different for each patient your TCM practitioner will tailor make a treatment protocol that is designed specifically for you.
As a general solution you might like to try GinSen’s Stress and Migraine kit. This kit provides a natural herbal blend that can help to lower stress levels and reduce migraines. These herbal supplements have a gentle detox effect and unblock your energy channels. They promote the effective circulation of blood around your head resulting in fewer headaches and migraines.
Paracetamol not working for headache?
Here are some diet and lifestyle suggestions for you to explore.
- Make sure that you drink plenty of water. Research demonstrates that being properly hydrated can work miracles on stubborn headaches and migraines.
- Reduce your intake of caffeine. It is well known that caffeine can have a negative impact on headaches and they can trigger migraines. Why not replace your morning cup of coffee with a cup of delicious green tea. Your head will thank you for this!
- Research also shows that alcohol is linked to higher incidences of headaches and migraines. Let’s help your Liver to function effectively by reducing the amount of alcohol that you consume during the week. Not only will you feel brighter and more energetic but you will also notice that you are less susceptible to headache and migraines.
- Try to go to bed and to wake at a regular time as too little or too much rest can trigger headaches. Keep your bedroom free of those pesky flashing lights from charging phones. You may not believe it now but with practice you will be able to nod off with ease, waking refreshed and energised.
- If you have got out of the habit of exercising regularly now is the time to revisit the joy of working out! Exercise increases our endorphin levels and makes us feel more positive and happy. It also has the effect of decreasing the frequency and duration of our headaches. So let’s get sweaty a couple of times a week!
Stress & Migraine Kit
Stress and Migraine kit by GinSen are natural herbal blend supplements for migraine caused by stress. These herbal supplements provide natural nutrition work on head nervous, vessels and lymphatic system by detoxing, unblocked energy channel, promote head blood circulated. The kit consist of Liver Detoxing Remedy and San Qi.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you with headache that does not respond to painkillers, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.