Navigating Headaches During Period with the Help of Chinese Medicine
For most women, monthly periods come with a variety of challenges. Those may range from the more common mild cramping to far more debilitating issues. For some women, a headache during menstruation may be common. An unwelcome migraine during period can really affect a woman’s quality of life for up to one week out of each cycle.
If this sounds all too familiar, and you are looking for an effective menstrual migraine treatment, read on to learn about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and period headache relief.
Causes of Headaches During Period
According to TCM, migraines or headache during period are the result of an imbalance between Yin and Yang. Since there is an inadequate circulation of blood in the body’s channels, or when there is an imbalance in the flow of Qi and blood, period headaches may occur. It’s A TCM practitioner will attempt to restore balance in an effort to bring about period headache relief. The most common causes of this imbalance may include:
Acupuncture for Managing Headaches Before and During Menstruation
Used by TCM practitioners for thousands of years, acupuncture is the insertion of small needles into the skin in an effort to restore balance to Qi along the body’s meridians. Acupuncture is a non-invasive menstrual migraine treatment with a proven track record of results.
It has been shown in studies to lessen the number of migraines each month. About 59% of those studied reported 50% fewer migraines after receiving treatment with acupuncture. Though treatment may vary, most women may find relief after receiving one treatment per week for about six weeks.
Herbal Menstrual Migraine Treatment
Chinese medicinal herbs are a drug-free, natural option that can bring period headache relief. Examples include:
- Dong Quai: Made from the root of the herb Angelica sinensis, Dong Quai has been used in TCM for thousands of years. In addition to reducing the number of headaches during period by 56%, it is also widely used to bring relief from symptoms associated with menopause. Buy Dong Quai here.
- Licorice: Glycyrrhiza glabra, or licorice, is effective in treating migraines due to its ability to improve circulation. This makes it a great option to help bring period headache relief with no adverse side effects.
Other Causes of Headache during Period
There are a few lifestyle factors that may be leading to headache after period. Some of these are:
- Skipping meals: Missing meals is known to trigger migraines. In fact, a study out of the Department of Anesthesiology at the Wake Forest School of Medicine found that out of 1207 people who suffer from migraines, 57% reported that skipping meals was often a trigger.
- Sleep: Getting an optimal amount of sleep is also very important. Migraine during period may be the result of either too little or too much sleep.
- Sights, Sounds, and Smells: Sensory issues, such as bright lights, loud sounds, and certain smells, may also result in headache during period. For some who experience migraine during period, this may often include certain types of perfume.
- Changes in Weather: Some women report that changes in the weather lead to headache after period. This may be the result of sudden temperature changes or even changes in humidity and barometric pressure.
- Alcohol: Many migraine sufferers list alcohol as a potential trigger. Though different types of alcohol may have different effects, red wine is often reported as one of the worst offenders.
- Caffeine: When it comes to caffeine, migraines may be triggered in those who drink too much as well as those experiencing caffeine withdrawal.
PMS Headache Kit
PMS Headache Kit by GinSen are natural herbal blend supplements for headache caused by hormone imbalance. These natural supplements provide natural nutrition source in hormone nutrition, detoxing Liver, boost blood circulation, increasing blood flowing. The kit consists of Tension Headache Remedy and PMS Remedy.
Headache during menstruation can be frustrating and painful. Its effect on your mood and wellbeing can make going about daily activities quite the struggle. Thankfully, TCM practitioners have many treatment options that can help bring needed relief to those experiencing migraine during period.
The practice of acupuncture is a proven menstrual migraine treatment that has been shown to reduce migraine frequency. Chinese medicinal herbs such as Donq Quai, chasteberry, and licorice, are drug-free, natural options that also have a long history of menstrual headache relief. Eliminating or reducing your intake of caffeine and alcohol, especially red wine, may also provide period headache relief.
Getting plenty of quality sleep and eating timely meals is a must for those with headache during menstruation. And though it is not within your control, be mindful of weather conditions and the effect they may have. If you have been suffering from migraines during or after menstruation, reach out to a TCM practitioner to discuss how any of the above options may help bring period headache relief.
Quiz For Menstrual Health
Find the right supplements for you in minutes
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you with headaches during period, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.