Experiencing Hormonal Weight Gain? Reset Your Hormones with Chinese Medicine
Struggling with weight gain is a far too common problem for most adults. In the United Kingdom, it is believed that over 68% of adults over the age of 18 are either overweight or obese.
Add to that the common advice of simply eating less and moving more, and it is no wonder why unwanted weight gain is still an issue. As it turns out, weight gain is about for more than just the number of calories taken in at meals.
There is a hormonal component to weight gain, and all the exercise in the world may not do the trick to resolve it. To learn more about hormone imbalance weight gain, read on.
What is Hormone Imbalance Weight Gain?
In its simplest terms, weight gain is an indication that the body is storing more energy than it is using. There are many hormones that may lead to weight gain when they are not in proper balance. Insulin, for example, has been shown to lead to fat storage while limiting the body’s ability to burn fat. Low amounts of thyroid hormones are also a known cause of weight gain. Estrogen weight gain is also a common case where excessive estrogen promote too much fat to be stored in the body.
For many women, however, female hormones causing weight gain is common, especially weight gain during the transition to menopause. As women approach their later years and begin perimenopause, the result is often an increase in belly fat as well as water retention. This is due to the rapid decrease in estrogen levels that women experience during this transition.
Traditional Chinese Medicine’s Perspective on how to stop hormonal weight gain
The transition to menopause is one of the most common forms of hormonal weight gain. In addition to the increase in abdominal fat, women may experience weight gain around the hips, glutes, and thighs as well. This change in hormone levels is not the only known cause. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), weight gain due to hormones can be made far worse when coupled with a lack of exercise, poor diet, and other genetic factors.
As the body changes, TCM practitioners will address hormonal imbalances as those are closely related to the concept of Yin and Yang. It due the the disruption in the flow of Qi (vital energy) and blood in the body, result in the accumulation of dampness, phlegm, and excess heat, leading to stagnation and blockages in the body’s organs and meridians (slow metabolism). Over the time, it cause deficiencies of the spleen or kidneys, liver depression, or blood stasis.
Three Ways TCM Can Help You Lose Hormone Imbalance Weight Gain
- Rebalance Yin and Yang: When there is a deficiency in Yin or Yang, it may result in weight gain. Rebalancing Yin and Yang will help to restore the body’s flow of Qi and ensure the organs are able to function properly. When balance is restored, the kidneys and spleen will be better equipped to rid the body of toxins while allowing the digestive system to do its job of absorbing and transporting nutrients.
- Improve the flow of Qi to boost metabolism: If blood and Qi are not properly flowing, the body will not be able to digest and absorb nutrients. This can result in a desire to eat more since the body is not getting the vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients that it needs to function at its best.
- Treat the root cause as well as symptoms: While TCM practitioners endeavor to bring balance to the body to improve health, there may be additional symptoms that require treatment. For example, women during menopause put on weight is due to deficiency of Yin.
Yin represents the nourishing, cooling, and moistening.
Without enough Yin to nourish and moisten the body, fluids may accumulate and lead to bloating and water weight gain. A deficiency of Yin can also lead to poor quality sleep or other sleep disturbances as well as hot flashes.
How to Reset Female Hormones for Weight Loss with Acupuncture
Bringing balance to Yin and Yang can help to achieve weight loss, and one way to do that is through the ancient practice of acupuncture.
Originating in China thousands of years ago, acupuncture is the insertion of thin needles into certain points of the body. It helps to resolve blood stasis which in turn will help to improve the function of the body’s organs. Thanks to its ability to improve the flow of Qi, it helps to relieve bloating and improve metabolism.
Acupuncture can also help with hormone imbalance and weight loss by helping the release of endorphins to provide a calming effect which reduces stress. As one’s mood improves due to the presence of neurotransmitters, patients may also experience appetite suppression.
How to Lose Hormonal Weight Gain with Cupping
If the imbalance of Yin and Yang results in heat, a TCM practitioner may use cupping. This type of treatment places cups on the skin in order to generate negative pressure using suction. This suction will help to improve blood flow, restore hormone balance, and remove toxins.
A study out of the Shanghai Institute of Acupuncture used cupping along with acupuncture in the treatment of obesity and found that 90% of those treated with cupping reported improvements in waist size and body mass index (BMI) as compared to the non-cupping group at 78.6% reporting improvement.
Herbs for Hormone Imbalance Weight Gain
Those wondering how to reset female hormones for weight loss using herbs have a few options available. For example:
- Hawthorn Berries: Crataegus pinnatifida, more commonly known as hawthorn berries, have been used by TCM practitioners treat They help to reduce both total cholesterol and triglyceride while also reducing lipid formation which prevents the fat cells from maturing. When tested on animals, a study demonstrated that hamsters treated with hawthorn berry had less fat than those that were not.
- Goji Berries: Goji berries’ has the ability to lower oxidative stress which can help with weight loss. A study out the University of the West in Santa Catarina in Brazil demonstrated that those who supplemented with goji berries reported a decrease in waist circumference and an improved lipid profile compared to those who took no supplements.
- Spirulina: Including this type of algae along with a healthy diet may help to reduce waist circumference and reduce body fat. Some who have tried spirulina for weight loss have even reported feeling a reduction in appetite.
Hormone Imbalance and Weight Loss Kit
Hormone Imbalance & Weight Loss kit by GinSen are natural weight loss supplements for weight gain from hormone imbalance. These herbal blend supplements act as a natural fat burner and maintaining hormone. This kit consist of Orient Weight Management, Fine Mood Remedy, Tao Hong Si Wu Tang and Fei Yan tea.
Since everyone ages, it is safe to say that almost everyone will experience hormonal weight gain. If you are nearing menopause, consider speaking to a TCM practitioner for more information on how to lose female hormone imbalance weight gain and to learn about the relation between hormones and weight.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you lose hormone imbalance weight gain, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.