How to Improve Sperm Morphology with Chinese Medicine
The shape and size of sperm may not sound like a very important concept, but the truth is that when sperm are not properly shaped, it can have a negative effect on a man’s fertility. Sperm morphology refers to both the size and shape of a man’s sperm.
If sperm morphology is poor, this may mean that there are defects that cause the sperms’ heads or tails to be crooked or misshapen. When this is the case, the sperm may not be able to penetrate the egg or possibly not be able to reach the egg at all. If you have abnormally shaped sperm and are looking for ways to improve sperm morphology naturally, read on.
What is Poor Sperm Morphology?
Having misshapen sperm is not uncommon. In a typical male, about 4-10% of sperm may show poor morphology. At this percentage, conception is absolutely possible. Sperm morphology is said to be poor if great than 95% of sperm in a sample are misshapen. This can refer to sperm with a crooked tail or those with a misshapen head.
As part of male fertility testing, semen is analysed which includes testing sperm morphology. Thankfully, those with poor sperm morphology have options that will help them to achieve pregnancy.
Sperm Morphology and Male Factor Infertility
So, if it’s possible to conceive with abnormal sperm morphology, why is it significant? Higher ranges of normal forms and successful pregnancies are strongly correlated. For this reason, sperm morphology is assessed in a semen analysis, and most medical professionals believe that it plays a significant role in the overall picture of male fertility.
When couples struggle to conceive, this is usually due to male infertility in about 50% of cases. Though other factors such as sperm concentration and poor motility also play a role, it is estimated that about 7% of male infertility is due to poor sperm morphology.
Although sperm morphology is significant, it is only one aspect of fertility. You may also examine for low sperm volume, no sperm, known as Azoospermia all of which are crucial aspects of male fertility.
Related Article : Low Sperm Volume Treatment With Chinese Medicine
Sperm Morphology Treatment : Increase Sperm Morphology with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
Acupuncture for sperm morphology is a drug-free, affordable option that may help to improve sperm morphology. Combined with other therapies, adding acupuncture treatment has been shown to increase a couple’s chances of conception.
It is not uncommon for men to consider acupuncture after first receiving a diagnosis of poor sperm morphology from a medical doctor who performed an analysis of their sperm under a microscope. In the absence of this information, practitioners of TCM will take a whole-body approach to treating infertility. Instead of just treating one or two symptoms, they will seek to understand and diagnose the cause and help to restore balance.
If a male patient and his partner have been struggling with infertility, it may be an indication that there is an issue with kidney essence also known as jing. This may mean that the kidneys are not able to properly do their job. Acupuncture may be used to improve kidney function and, since they store jing, it can help to restore essence.
Acupuncture’s Effect On Sperm Morphology
According to a scientific study in 2014, acupuncture was linked to a notable increase in sperm concentration and motility. So how does Acupuncture improve male fertility?
Acupuncture for sperm morphology can help to reduce inflammation. It helps to bring balance to the immune system while improving blood flow to the reproductive organs. Sperm motility may also improve as a result.
In addition to these benefits, sperm concentration has been shown to increase in men who are treated with acupuncture when compared to those who used other forms of treatment.
Stress can affect male fertility negatively and acupuncture has shown to reduce stress and have positive effect on male fertility.
Acupuncture may enhance testosterone levels according to a study in 2019. The study showed follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels, and levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) can be balanced, all of which are hormones that affect male fertility.
How many acupuncture sessions are recommended?
The frequency of acupuncture treatment may vary. A TCM practitioner will discuss how many sessions may be appropriate to achieve desired results. Studies have shown that is possible to see improvement after just a few sessions. A 2021 study out of the Department of Medical Acupuncture at Anna Hospital in Indonesia demonstrated that improvement in motility increased from 25% to 67% after just two treatments.
Additional Lifestyle Changes to Improve Sperm Morphology
In addition to acupuncture for sperm morphology, there are many simple life style changes that can be implemented and will help to improve overall healthy and increase sperm morphology. Examples include:
- Limit alcohol consumption: Those who drink excessively may experience reduced testosterone levels and possibly even erectile disfunction.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is known to cause damage to sperm and even reduce the likelihood of embryo survival. In addition to impairing morphology, it can also have a negative effect on sperm motility. A study in 2019 showed that, Morphological defect were higher in men that smoked.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet: A diet that is low in nutrients can have a negative effect on the production of sperm. Those who are hoping to increase sperm morphology should include plenty of nutrient-dense colorful vegetables that are high in fiber such as broccoli, carrots, and eggplant.
In fact, studies have showed that ‘western diet’ such as pizza, french fries, processed and red meats, snacks, refined grains, sugar-sweetened beverages, and sweets are linked with lower sperm morphology.
- Manage stress: An abundance of stress can cause a number of issues in addition to having an effect on male fertility. Try stress management techniques such as meditation and tai chi to help manage stress levels.
- Exercise: In addition to the above, staying active will also help to manage stress. Walking, jogging, and light resistance training will all help to manage stress and improve overall health. Studies have shown that men that are physically active produce healthier sperm.
- Heat exposure: Men who are attempting to conceive should avoid spending time in hot tubs or steam rooms while also avoiding working on a laptop that is placed directly in their laps.
Men who are struggling with infertility due to poor sperm morphology can rest assured that there are safe and effective options with no adverse side effect that will help to increase sperm morphology. Acupuncture for sperm morphology has been shown to improve fertility outcomes along with the added benefit of reducing inflammation and improving blood flow.
To further improve fertility, it is important to quit smoking and reduce alcohol consumption as both have been shown to damage sperm and reduce levels of testosterone. Getting plenty of exercise to manage stress along with a nutrient-dense, high-fiber diet is also important to ensure proper sperm production.
If you and your partner have been struggling to conceive and believe that you may be suffering from poor sperm morphology, speak with a TCM practitioner about acupuncture for sperm morphology to help improve your chances of welcoming a healthy baby.
What supplements help sperm morphology?
Sperm Herbs by GinSen are herbal blend supplements for male fertility issues. Expertly formulated by fertility experts using just 7 of the finest natural Chinese herbs, these natural male fertility supplements contribute to normal male fertility, testosterone levels, sperm count, morphology, mobility, and libido giving you the highest chance of conception.
Eggs and Sperm Health Remedy
Eggs and Sperm Health Remedy by GinSen is recommended are his and her herbal fertility supplement that contribute to normal fertility and reproduction by promoting sperm and egg health. Expertly formulated by fertility experts, these herbal fertility supplements strengthen human reproductive health and assist the body along its path towards a natural conception or improve the chances of successful IVF treatment.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you to improve sperm morphology, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.