Top 7 Chinese Medicinal Mushroom and Their Health Benefits
Though most people may not think much about mushrooms other than adding them to meals or tossing them into a salad, mushrooms have been consumed by many cultures since ancient times. In fact, the ancient Greeks believed that eating mushrooms would give their warriors strength for battle, and the ancient Romans referred to them as the “food of the Gods”. In traditional Chinese medicine, or TCM, Chinese medicinal mushrooms are referred to as the “elixir of life” and for good reason.
Given all of the medicinal mushroom benefits out there, these fungi should be considered to be more than just a side dish. Mushroom health benefits include everything from anti-inflammatory properties to gut health to anti ageing. If you are interested in learning what type of mushroom will provide a mushroom health benefit, then read on to learn more about the top seven Chinese medicinal mushrooms and their health benefits.
Medicinal Mushrooms Benefits
1. Cordyceps Sinensis Benefits: Used in TC M for thousands of years, Cordyceps Sinensis grows on the Tibetan Plateau near the Himalayas as well as in parts of Europe and North America. It contains a metabolite known as Cordycepin which gives this mushroom its medicinal mushroom benefits. Its mushroom health benefits include having anti-tumor, anti-aging, and anti-oxidative effects. It has also been shown to modulate the immune system and can even enhance sexual function. It can be purchased online and often comes in capsule form.
2. Shiitake Mushroom Benefits: Known by their scientific name of Lentinula Edodes, these Chinese medicinal mushrooms offer a variety of wonderful health benefits. A study out of the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at the University of Florida reviewed the results of 52 people who were given 5-10 grams of shiitake mushrooms each day for four weeks. The medicinal mushroom benefits included improved cell function, improved gut immunity, and a reduction in inflammation. They can be found online in either extract or droplet form.
3. Maitake Mushroom Benefits: In Western medicine, it is often recommended that patients drink milk as a way to support bone health. However, there are Chinese medicinal mushrooms that will also go a long way to improve bone health. Maitake, also known as Grifola Frondosa, is an all-natural, edible option that can be used to enhance osteogenesis. During osteogenesis, mesenchymal tissues transform into bone tissue and cartilage. In addition to these bone health benefits, other mushroom health benefits include its anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, and anticancer properties. These can be purchased on pull form or as an extract.
4. Reishi Mushroom Benefits: Known in TCM as Ling Zhi or by its scientific name of Ganoderma Lucidum, reishi are large, dark mushrooms that have a woody texture. It is sometimes referred to as the “herb of spiritual potency”. They offer a variety of medicinal mushroom benefits such as controlling the level of blood glucose in the body and modulating the immune system. It also demonstrates antiviral effects and is able to protect against both liver and gastric injuries. Both extracts and pills are available for purchase online.
5. Chaga Mushroom Benefits: This parasitic fungus is also known by the scientific name of Inonotus Obliquus. These Chinese medicinal mushrooms have been used for ages thanks to their positive effects on lipid metabolism as well as cardiac function. They also demonstrate antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antitumor properties. Some varieties have even been shown to inhibit both the hepatitis C virus and the human immunodeficiency virus. It may also hold the ability to increase certain peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors. Chaga can be purchased in powder form or as a capsule.
6. Lion’s Mane Mushroom Benefits: Those struggling with mental health issues should consider the mushroom health benefit of Lion’s Mane. Known by the scientific name of Hericium Erinaceus, Lion’s Mane has antidiabetic, antioxidative, anticancer, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antihyperglycemic, and hypolipidemic properties. It is sometimes used in the treatment of both Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. A study out of the School of Biomedical Sciences’ Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine at The University of Hong Kong showed that Lion’s Mane improves depressive disorders and is a safe complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of low mood. It is usually taken in pill form.
7. Turkey Tail Mushroom Benefits: Trametes versicolor, more commonly known as Turkey Tail mushroom, can be found growing on dead logs all over the world. In TCM, it has been used to treat pulmonary diseases. It is also used to modulate the immune system and is an approved cancer treatment in Japan. In fact, the 10-year survival rate of 101 patients studied in Japan was significantly better for patients treated without polysaccharide-K, or PSK, which is an ingredient found in Turkey Tail mushroom. It can also have benefits for our furry friends. Hemangiosarcoma, a vascular cancer that affects certain breeds of dogs, can be slowed by adding Turkey Tail mushroom as a supplement. It can be found online in pill form.
It appears that the ancient Romans, Greeks, and practitioners of TCM were on to something as the above Chinese medicinal mushrooms offer a number of medicinal mushrooms benefits. They have been used for their anti-inflammatory properties and may even benefit patients suffering from a range of illnesses . In addition to these medicinal mushroom benefits, other benefits include their affordable price point and safety. Chinese medicinal mushrooms can be found online and in herbal shops, so speak with your practitioner to discuss how to use medicinal mushrooms as a drug-free alternative.
Mushroom Remedy by GinSen is a unique blend of 7 herbs ( mushrooms ) in 1 tablet. These mushroom remedy tablets are ideal to add to your daily routine to improve concentration, energy, support digestion health and enhance immune system function.
Cordyceps Supplement by GinSen are pure and highest quality cordyceps extract (cordyceps sinensis). 100% Cordyceps with no added ingredient or fillers. Ideal to add to your daily routine to harness its many health benefits. Cordyceps sinensis has been a staple in Chinese Medicine for centuries, it possesses potent antioxidant and immune boosting properties. Cordyceps can also be used for boosting energy and stamina, reducing fatigue, persistent cough as well as fertility concerns.
For more information about Chinese Medicine, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.