Relieve digestive problems with Moxibustion
The simple, effective and natural solution you’ve been looking for
There are a number of digestive problems that can cause us considerable discomfort. These range from heartburn and upset stomachs to indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). What all of these conditions have in common is that they refer to problems that occur at any point along your digestive tract. If you or someone you love is plagued with digestive problems please read on - Chinese Medicine provides an excellent alternative treatment for IBS and digestive problems. In this article we will explain how moxibustion for indigestion works and share some simple lifestyle changes that will get you feeling better in no time.
Other symptoms of common digestive problems
- Heartburn – this is the same as acid reflux or gerd and describes a painful burning feeling in the chest, often after eating
- Trapped wind or bloating in the upper or lower
- Nausea feeling the need to vomit after eating
A Western Medical approach may involve taking antacid or anti nausea medication on an ongoing basis. Many people nowadays however wish to reduce the amount of medication they take and seek a complementary approach – this is where TCM comes in.
How does Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) view digestive problems?
In TCM theories problems associated with digestion are primarily related to deficiencies in the Spleen. When the energy – or Qi – of this organ is deficient, it is unable to perform its function effectively giving rise to all number of digestive problems. Typical Spleen Qi deficiency symptoms include include poor appetite, weight loss, fullness and sleepiness after eating, and loose stools. These symptoms will sound familiar to anyone that regularly experiences digestive problems!
In addition to the Spleen the organs of our Stomach and Large Intestine are also related to a healthy digestive system – they need to be in tip top condition. If we overeat or combine foods that are difficult to digest these organs start to malfunction – this leads to Stagnation – a condition that describes how food is not processed effectively. Symptoms of stagnation include sensations of feeling bloated, nausea, and acid stomach. In order to shift the Stagnation it is important to boost the flow of energy to the affected organs. Moxibustion is a particularly effective technique that TCM practitioners will often use to achieve this goal.
Moxibustion for indigestion
Moxibustion describes the process of warming up a specific part of the body through the use of the herb Moxa – or Mugwort as its known in English. In its dried form Moxa resembles a pale brown wool. An expert TCM practitioner will either pick off tiny pieces of this wool to heat small areas of the body or they will use a Moxa stick – where Moxa has been pressed into cigar shaped stick – to gently warm larger areas of the body.
During a Moxibustion treatment the Moxa will be lit and then hovered over a certain set of points along an acupuncture Meridian – a string of points that correspond to a specific organ of the body.
Moxibustion helps to relieve cold or stagnated conditions within the body. When applied by an experienced practitioner Moxa treatment is extremely effective at helping a number of digestive problems. It works to:
- Reduce bloating
- Improve digestion
- Reduce pain
When treating digestive problems Moxa is often applied to an acupuncture point which is located just below the knee – Stomach 36. This point has the effect of boosting the Qi and Yang energy thus treating this point with Moxa is very effective at removing digestive complaints. With regular treatment you will also notice that your energy levels also start to rise.
Other points that may be treated include:
Ren 8 – this is located in the centre of the umbilicus or belly button. This point is never needled and can only be accessed through moxibustion. Treating this point is helpful for those who suffer from cramping, diarrhoea or even menstrual discomfort.
Ren 6 – this point is located approximately one inch below the navel. When this point is warmed by a Moxa treatment it helps to build up energy, and also helps to move any stuck energy in the area. The result is a warmer lower abdomen and one that is able to digest and process food and waste more effectively.
Ren 15. This point is located at the tip of the sternum, roughly where your diaphragm is located. Warming this point up with Moxa is an excellent alternative treatment for gerd- patients will often notice that their heartburn symptoms decreases substantially, even after only a couple of treatments.
An alternative treatment for IBS
Incorporate Healthy Digestive Remedy into your daily routine
Healthy Digestive Remedy by GinSen are natural food supplements that are designed to support a healthy digestive system and provide relief from acid reflux relief naturally. This formula helps to relieve symptoms such as bloating, gas, irregular bowel movements and IBS by optimising the function of the digestive system. This remedy has a positive effect on the Stomach and Large Intestine, and helps to move Stagnation by reducing inflammation.
The Healthy Digestive Remedy helps to:
- Reduce bloating and gas
- Improves the appetite
- Optimises bowel movements
- Helps to removal of ease products from the digestion system
Simple Lifestyle changes that will help reduce digestive problems
- Overeating or eating too quickly can tax your Spleen. Take your time, slow down and chew your food properly. This help your body to kick off the digestive process properly by mixing the food with saliva which contains digestive enzymes.
- Limit fatty, greasy or spicy foods – these can irritate the lining of your gut. Your Liver (which in TCM is responsible for processing fat) finds fatty food difficult to digest. It starts to complain and this results in Liver Qi Stagnation! One day a week why not try cooking up a home made vegetable soup and having this for your evening meal. This will be easy to digest and give your Liver a well deserved break. You will notice a difference!
- Take a moment to consider how much coffee, alcohol or carbonated beverages you consume every day. Reducing your consumption of these drinks will help help your digestive system to function better. Consider replacing one of these drinks with a healthy – and delicious – green tea instead.
Healthy Digestive Remedy
Healthy Digestive Remedy by GinSen is a 100% natural food supplement designed to provide acid reflux relief naturally. It works to eliminate symptoms such as bloating, gas, irregular bowel movements, colitis, and IBS by getting to the root cause of the disrupted digestive health. It also gives the metabolic system a boost so food is processed better by the body.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help you with digestive problems, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.