Treating Pain with Traditional Chinese Medicine
Pain is one of the most common problems. Musculoskeletal pain is often short lived but a substantial number of people suffer from chronic disease.
Traditional Chinese Medicine is extremely effective in the treatment and management of pain, both short term and chronic, primarily through the use of acupuncture, herbal medicine, Chinese massage (tuina and acupressure). Where appropriate, related therapies such as cupping and infra-red heat are also used.
Pain Conditions TCM treats effectively include:
- Back pain – upper back and lower back, neck, shoulder, wrist, hip, leg, pelvic and knee pain
- Muscle pain
- Tendon and ligament pain, for example sprained ankle
- Joint pain, including arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Nerve pain: disorders resulting from nerve compression such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tarsal tunnel syndrome, etc.
- Pain after surgery
- Cancer pain
- Sports injuries
How Traditional Chinese Medicine Treats Pain
One of the fundamental principles of TCM is the concept of Qi. Qi is the life force or energy which flows around the body and regulates your health. Whenever the free flow of Qi is obstructed, the organs begin to function improperly, allowing illness and pain to develop.
TCM has been an effective treatment for pain for thousands of years. It focuses not only on relieving the pain but on identifying and treating the underlying cause of it. It can:
- Reduce and, in many cases, relieve completely
- Improve the patient’s ability to deal with pain by helping to regulate the negative emotions associated with it, such as fear, anxiety, and frustration.
- Increase energy levels, thus enhancing the patient’s ability to perform everyday functions.
- Reduce reliance on medications.
Your TCM Practitioner will treat you by first gaining a thorough understanding of the root cause as well as the secondary symptoms, employing the classic TCM diagnostic techniques of examination of pulse and tongue. They will also identify the: nature of pain, time, area and response of it to pressure or temperature and will look at aspects of your life, such as sleep habits, emotions, diet and exercise.
TCM is based on an entirely personalised approach to treatment. Your Practitioner will treat the root cause of your pain as well as the symptoms. Treatment will consist of acupuncture to specific meridian points to disperse blockages and stagnation. You will also receive herbal medicine. Depending on your underlying condition, additional therapies such as Chinese Massage, Cupping and Infra-Red heat may also be prescribed.
Disclaimer & Important Information
We can’t guranteed the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are un predictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. GinSen’s acupuncturist will discuss your care before carrying out the treatment, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.
Contact us for pain treatment
Very good quality massages and ear candling treatments. Definitely worth going if you want a relaxing and healing experience!