Coming off the Pill
Post Pill Amenorrhea
How Chinese Medicine Can Help To Get Your Cycle Back On Track
Many women today have used birth control or The Pill – since they were teenagers. Many were prescribed this because they suffer from Endometriosis or PCOS. Others take the birth control pill – or The Pill as it is a safe and convenient way to prevent pregnancy and to delay starting a family until later in life. Taking The Pill for an extended time means that an underlying fertility issue may have been masked which will be discovered only years later.
Unwelcome side effects of The Pill include breast tenderness, migraines and nausea and long term use may slightly increase the risk of breast, liver and cervical cancer.
In this article we will find out what symptoms may arise when you come off The Pill and highlight how Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help restore your natural menstrual cycle.
What is The Pill?
The Pill contains artificial versions of female hormones oestrogen and progesterone, produced naturally in the ovaries. Taking the pill prevents ovulation – where the ovaries release an egg. The Pill also thickens the mucus in the neck of the womb making it more difficult for sperm to penetrate the womb and reach an egg, and also thins the lining of the womb. This significantly reduces the chance of a fertilised egg implanting into the womb and being able to grow. When you come off The Pill the endometrial lining of the womb remains thin. This has a negative impact on many women’s ability to conceive naturally, particularly in the first few months – and it can take many women a significant amount of time before their cycle returns – a condition known as amenorrhea.
What happens once you come off The Pill?
Once your body no longer receives the external sources of progesterone and oestrogen contained within The Pill your body should start to ovulate again. Depending upon the woman, the type of pill, and the length of time you have been taking it, it may take anywhere from several weeks to several months before your hormone levels regulate and menstruation resumes. If your cycle doesn’t return to normal within three months you should seek medical advice. At Ginsen we have extensive experience of helping women to maximise their fertility and to naturally improve their menstrual cycles.
Side effects of coming off The Pill
Changes in your hormone levels can cause a number of side effects including:
- Heavy periods after stopping birth control
- Pre menstrual syndrome
- Weight gain
- Mood swings and fatigue
- Acne – caused by the fluctuating hormone levels
- Post Pill Amenorrhea – this is where there is an absence of a period or irregular periods
Luckily TCM is at hand to deal with the side effects of coming off The Pill, including amenorrhea. It is an effective and research backed complete system of medicine that can restore you to balance and get your menstrual cycle back on track – boosting your fertility in the process.
Lets get your cycle back on track – its time to detox
According to TCM theories your body becomes stressed as a result of taking the artificial hormones. The Liver becomes overtaxed as it it has to process The Pill. In TCM our Liver has many responsibilities including regulating our mood and the production and circulation of our Blood. An overtaxed Liver creates Liver Qi Stagnation, manifest in many of the symptoms of coming off The Pill, including absent or heavy periods and mood swings.
It is vital that at this time the Liver’s function is supported through the use of herbs and acupuncture treatment. This will enable it to function at its optimum level, removing the residual excess hormones and scouring and nourishing the Blood. At GinSen we only use the best quality natural herbs and these are a wonderful way to nourish the depleted body, and paving the way for improved menstrual cycles. By allowing your body to detox thoroughly you provide your body the opportunity to recover from years of stress, creating a clean slate which will optimise your chance of conceiving.
Best herbs to support amenorrhea and to regulate your menstrual cycle
Menstrual Maintenance regulate the menstrual cycle naturally. Ideal for irregular periods – absent periods, heavy/light period flow, period clotting and balancing hormones, it also supports the well-being of female fertility organs to help promote fertility.
Chinese Motherwort is a popular Chinese herb that helps to gently balance women’s hormones. It works by soothing blood stagnation thus regulating an irregular menstrual cycle. It is ideal for conditions such as amenorrhea, postpartum abdominal pain, heavy flow with clots and fixed abdominal masses.
Red Sage Root is a popular herb that supports cardiovascular health. This natural supplement supports effective promote blood circulation and relaxes the mind. They offer a natural solution for menstrual conditions by eliminating Heat and inflammation.
Can acupuncture help?
Yes! Acupuncture works by balancing your menstrual cycle. It regulates the menstrual flow and also eases stress. At Ginsen, through the use of single use sterile stainless steel needles, we gently regulate the menstrual cycle to a regular 28 days – an indication of good ovary function and a well balanced hormonal system.
Making positive changes to your diet will help your body as it returns to a state of naturally balanced hormones and a healthy diet is strongly recommended for couples who want to conceive.
- Enhance your healthy gut bacteria. As The Pill has a negative effect on the bacteria in your gut it is important that you add some yogurt, pickles and sour cream to your daily food intake. This will provide the body with probiotics or good bacteria.
- Give your vitamins a boost. Levels of Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, and folic acid are negatively affected by The Pill. Therefore add foods such as beef, nuts greens and salmon to your diet.
- Calcium counts. Eating plenty of foods that has high in calcium also is strongly recommended, since the use of birth control can also thin the bones. Calcium is found in high quantities in spinach, broccoli, sesame seeds, seaweed, chia seeds and cottage cheese.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine help to get your cycle back on track after come off pills, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts today
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.