Achieving pregnancy after miscarriage with acupuncture and Chinese medicine
If you have sadly experienced a miscarriage and are wondering whether you will ever be able to have a baby you will probably be experiencing a variety of emotions. Perhaps you may have conflicting feelings – grief for the lost baby and excitement and guilt about the possibility of trying again. Any feelings that you have are perfectly natural and it is important that you treat yourself gently and with kindness at this time. In this article we will explore the subject of getting pregnant after miscarriage and find out how acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help you through this difficult time.
What is miscarriage?
Miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 23 weeks. Sadly miscarriages are relatively common, with an estimated 1 in 6 pregnancies ending in this way.
A TCM explanation for miscarriage
There are a variety of TCM explanations for miscarriage:
- During pregnancy all of the body’s organs need to work together in synchronicity in order to maintain a pregnancy. A weakness in any one organ may result in a miscarriage. If for example there is a weak Spleen nutrients from ingested food will not be properly transformed into usable energy to develop a thick uterine lining that is capable of sustaining a pregnancy to full term.
- Blood and Qi play essential roles in sustaining a pregnancy. A mother’s energy – or Qi – needs to be sufficiently strong to ensure that her Blood is filled with nutrients and also circulates effectively. A miscarriage can result if her Blood becomes deficient or her energy levels decrease to a point that her body can no longer sustain her pregnancy.
- Obstructions such as scarring – both physical and emotional can also result in miscarriage. These can block the smooth flowing of energy as it moves around the body, and pinch off the energy that is required for pregnancy. Negative emotions such as stress exacerbate the problem as they can prevent the Liver from functioning correctly, leading to Liver Qi Stagnation. This has a negative impact on the both the quality and the circulation of Blood as it travels around the body.
- A deficiency in a woman’s Kidney energy may also result in a miscarriage. Women with this type of deficiency may have irregular menstrual cycles or she might not always ovulate. Kidney deficiency can be congenital or it can develop due to working too hard or being too stressed for a prolonged period of time. In addition, engaging in excessive sexual activity can deplete your Kidney energy.
Acupuncture after miscarriage can help you to cope
It is important that you seek help and support after a miscarriage. In addition to providing you with a confidential and safe space to share how you feel, an experienced and fully qualified acupuncture practitioner will be able to offer a variety of treatments that can help your body and mind to recover. Acupuncture after miscarriage can help you to recover from the loss and to help you to progress through the grieving process.
In TCM the Lung and Large Intestine are related to letting go, moving forward and to gaining a greater understanding of our place in the world. There are specific points along the energy channels – or meridians – of these organs that an acupuncturist might choose to treat. These are located on the hands, wrists and along the arms.
A woman that has experienced a trauma such as a miscarriage may also require some treatment to her Heart meridian. Treatments here are located along the little finger (no needles go anywhere near your physical heart) and your practitioner might treat specific points along this meridian with moxa to help to gently nourish the heart energy and to return the body to a place of calm.
Pregnancy after miscarriage – How can acupuncture for miscarriage help?
Once a woman is ready to try for pregnancy after miscarriage it is important that treatment focuses on building up her energy levels – three months of treatment will put her in the best possible position to sustain a full-term pregnancy. Pregnancy after miscarriage is possible – and acupuncture can help!
If you are seeking acupuncture after miscarriage your practitioner will employ a number of TCM techniques to diagnose the underlying imbalances in your system that previously resulted in the threatened or actual miscarriage. These include a thorough diagnosis, looking at your tongue, checking your pulse and palpating your abdomen and the channels of your arms and legs. In these ways a practitioner is able to understand what might have gone wrong – and what needs to happen in order to strengthen your body sufficiently to sustain a future pregnancy.
A course of treatment will then be devised. This may include acupuncture, moxibustion – a warming treatment that helps to rebuild your energy and Chinese herbal treatment. In addition your practitioner may make recommendations to your diet and lifestyle. A typical treatment schedule may require twice weekly treatments for two weeks, followed by a series of weekly treatments. In this way we will be able to rebuild a woman’s energy after miscarriage and provide the emotional and physical support that she needs.
Acupuncture after miscarriage can help in numerous and research backed ways in-cluding:
Getting pregnant after miscarriage: Lifestyle and dietary advice
- Avoid Spicy Foods : Try to limit the amount of spicy food you eat. Spicy food can encourage bleeding and trigger contractions.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol and coffee. Chrysanthemum or peppermint tea are delicious and refreshing alternatives.
- If you experience any bleeding or cramping at all please stop what you are doing. It is important to prioritise rest, and relaxation. Take time off from sexual intercourse and exercise and work, and cultivate the quiet side of your personality.
- You also might like to try Chinese Motherwort which is a popular herb that balances female hormones, treats heavy flow with clots and regulates irregular menstrual cycles. It also unblocks channels of energy and eases the flow of energy.
Chinese Motherwort (Yi Mu Cao)
Yi Mu Cao or Chinese Motherwort is a popular Chinese herb to balance women’s hormones. Chinese Motherwort Medicine can be used to balance overall hormones due to its ability to soothe blood stagnation. It effectively helps with irregular menstrual cycle, amenorrhea, postpartum abdominal pain, heavy flow with clots, fixed abdominal masses, fertility and traumatic pain. This powerful herb can also be used for targeted relief and support with fibroid and endometriosis.
For more information about how Chinese Medicine can help in getting pregnant after miscarriage, book your free consultation with our Chinese Medicine experts toda
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.